Thursday, February 22, 2007

Entry #2 for February 23rd, 2007

Take a position on a controversial topic related to education.
Growing up close to two people who are considered "exceptional learner" I am very aware of the positives and negatives of inclusion.
My cousin is a joyful and happy 12 year old, with a learning disability. As far as education goes, she is about 4 years behind where she should be at her age. With her IEP, she is able to participate fully in a normal classroom, with very little help from aides. For her, full inclusion is a great option. She has been able to develop relationships with teacher and students throughout her schooling, and learn and progress as much as she is able.
On the other hand, a close family friend of ours is a 16 year old with sever Down syndrome. Sean has no vocal communication skills, and is just starting to learn signs for things he wants or needs. Clearly, inclusion would be a terrible option for him. Without intense, one-on-one attention he is unable to function at home, much less at school.
Overall, I think inclusion is a great option for high functioning exceptional learners, but it is very important that the idea of inclusion is breached on a case by case basis. If in an attempt to achieve the least restrictive environment a student is placed in a more mainstreamed classroom than he or she is able to function in, I see this a major problem of inclusion. Most importantly, I think it is important that people very close to the student being considered decide if full inclusion is right for that student.

3 comments:

Ted Moore said...

Laura, I agree with what you say. My mom is a kindergarten assitant at the elementary school in my town. Part of her job is to give more attention to the kids with disabilities of all kinds so the teacher can focus more on the whole. She has told me before that in the past eight years she has taught there there have been some kids that really shouldn't have been in public schools, not yet atleast, because they couldn't function and her job ended up being focusing on that one students instead of trying to help the whole class.

Joe Taylor said...

I wrote my topic on LRE as well and I agree with everything you said. I think people automatically assume that the least restrictive environment is best for every child when really it might not be.

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Laura,

How should it be determined and who should determine it with regard to where students are best educated? It seems that we are in trouble if we just "follow the rules" and don't utilize the trust and good judgment of those working most closely with children. I appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

Your blog is off to a great start. I look forward to reading your ideas.

Thanks for your efforts on this project.

Dr. Langholz