Monday, February 12, 2007

Entry #1 for February 16th, 2007

Why do we teach? What is the difference between school "work" and student "learning?" What makes for good teaching?
When I was a kid, in first and second grade, sometimes I liked to play "house", but more often than not, I wanted to play "school." I wanted to play "spelling bee" or "history lesson" or "arts and crafts time." When adults asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I always said that I wanted to be a teacher. It wasn't until my senior year of high school, and my freshman year of college that I started to wonder whether I really wanted to be a teacher, or if I just liked having a solid answer to that question- I'm not one who likes not having a definite answer and goal.
It was as a freshman at Luther College that I realized that I didn't just want to teach because it was what I'd been saying all my life- I wanted to teach because i truly want to impact the lives of young people in the positive way that my teachers impacted me; i think this is one of the requirements of being a "good teacher." A "good teacher" has to care not about her students as simply pupils sitting in the desks in her classroom for an hour each day, but as individuals, who can be shaped to be the best possible person. A good teacher has to be willing to go the extra mile to make sure that her students achieve the most they are capable of- to push them to see how much they are capable of doing, and inspire them to want to do it on their own, not for a good grade in a class. Good teachers can't be in this profession for the money, because unfortunately, it is likely they will be disappointed. A good teacher has to forget about paychecks and contract hours, and do as much as they possibly can to ensure that the next generation of young people are the best that they can be, and that they pass their self-determination and drive to achieve onto those around them. This is what the difference between school "work" and student "learning" is all about. In the end, it isn't important if a particular student remembers that Shakespeare's Hamlet was written in 1599, but that from reading that they developed a love for the arts, and a sense of duty, friendship and loyalty. It doesn't really matter if on the last day of school a student can recite all 23 helping verbs, but that they have a grasp of the English language that will allow them to function in a society that is more and more dependant on technology everyday, and face-to-face conversation is becoming less common. What is most important is that the student has learned how to achieve to the best of their ability, and has a faith in themselves that they are capable.

2 comments:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Laura,

You have a good start on your blog including the links to your group members. I appreciate the effort you put into your first entry and will look forward to reading more of your ideas in the future.

Dr. Langhoz

Joe Taylor said...

It's pretty neat you can say that ever since first grade you wanted to be a teacher! Also, its funny how only teachers realize the benefits of teaching while others just see it as a low paying job that is not worth their time.